Monday, August 17, 2009

Waiting in a cage to be transferred

Josh writes:

I can never stress enough about how I feel more like an animal than a human being in here. Not because of personal choice but by how I am treated and how others around me are treated. Today I got a new cellie and I would like to share an experience he just had at the hands of the Department of Corrections.

My cellie went out to court for an appeal on his case and when he was delivered back to State Prison from County Jail he was dropped off in Chino State Prison to wait for a bus to bring him back to this prison. Well, when he got to Chino State Prison, it was so over-crowded he was placed in a 3 foot by 3 foot square cage to wait for housing. Due to the severe over-crowding, he stayed in this 3x3 foot cage for 48 hours straight. For 48 hours he was forced to stand up like this with nowhere to go or no room to lay down. Only allowed to use the bathroom sparingly and at the correctional officers convenience. On his first day of being placed in this cage, not even suitable for animals, he was denied any kind of food for breakfast or lunch. Only to get a small sack lunch at night. And yes, this did occur in Chino State Prison, in Chino, California. Not in some foreign country whose citizens have no human rights. Right in your backyard! And don't think this is an isolated incident. It isn't! This is happening to U.S. citizens constantly and especially in California. At any given time you can walk into Chino State Prison and find 20 or more people packed into tiny cages meant for 10 people, for days at a time.

Why? Why isn't there enough bed space? The reason there is no bed space is because parole officers and judges are constantly sending petty drug addicts to prison instead of offering programs that will help them. I don't know about you, but being packed into a cage is not going to cure any addiction in my eyes. So until these pathetic sentencing laws change, overcrowding will remain an issue and people's human rights will continue to be violated.

So we have already lost our freedom in order to repay our debt to society, but nowhere in my sentence did I agree to give up my human rights!

No comments:

Post a Comment